An interactive map of RAAC affected schools in England

Project URL: https://raac-schools.glitch.me

Hey, I’m excited to share a project I’ve been cooking up lately.

This Glitch maps all the schools in England that are affected by RAAC (reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete). This is a big issue at the moment as this material poses a risk of sudden collapse and it affects 147 schools across the country.

I wanted to present this data in a visual way to highlight where the schools are and illustrate the concentration in certain areas with higher numbers of affected schools.

I’ve compiled data from the official UK government list and the Department for Education to provide detailed information (more to come soon) on which schools are RAAC. I’ve also put all this data online so others can easily use it if they wish.

I used Fastify and MapLibre, and built some really basic analytics to monitor usage with SQLite.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback on the project. Check it out here: raac-schools.glitch.me

7 Likes

“In August 2023 more than 100 school buildings in England were ordered to be closed while safety measures were installed” !!! (pulled that from the WIkipedia article you linked). Nice job on this map!

1 Like

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.