Project URL: https://glitch.com/edit/#!/api-learner
With this project my aim is to help people learn a little about REST APIs and open source / the git contribution process at the same time. In the README you’ll find a tutorial on adding a new endpoint to an existing API.
The API is hosted on Glitch, with the code managed via GitHub. This is the basic process the tutorial walks learners through:
- Fork the repo on GitHub
- Import the fork into Glitch
- Add a new endpoint and test it in Glitch
- Export the new endpoint to the GitHub fork (via the Glitch branch)
- Open a pull request to merge the new endpoint into the original GitHub repo
- (See your addition in the original Glitch app once merged)
For a long time I’ve wanted to explore the idea of using open source contribution as a more supported learning pathway for coding skills. Often I find contributing to existing open source projects requires a skill level that prevents people who are new to tech from getting involved. This project is my first attempt at building a learning pathway for coding skills via open source contribution - all feedback is much appreciated so please let me know what you think!