Is this an appropriate use of glitch?

This might be the first project that publicly claims a request rate as high as that. Really, you’d probably be compared against these fine examples from “Boosted Apps from Glitch Creators”:

How many requests per minute do you think these projects get?

Anyway, given that, I’d highlight one of the recently added clauses in the Terms of Service (in fact it is highlighted at the top of the Glitch Legal page):

We reserve the right to delete, suspend, or terminate your access to, or ability to use, any and all Services that we determine to be placing undue strain on our infrastructure.

As I read it, this is a very broad permission to suspend projects. It explicitly worded to be something “we [Gltich] determine,” and it doesn’t commit to any quantitative guidelines that they’ll follow when enforcing this. Users like us are not able to tell you that the project you describe is compliant in this way.

On a separate topic, I want to talk about disk characteristics here. It is sometimes slow, it sometimes gets corrupted, and Glitch has not put forth the effort to monitor disk metrics.

• slow - Example: Glitch CONSTANTLY Freezing
  • gets corrupted - Search for the keyword “dots” Search results for '"dots" order:latest_topic' - Glitch Community Forum in recent threads to find stories about this. People’s project disks get corrupted, and when they try to open a corrupted file, the editor shows dots.
  • no monitoring - Glitch’s status page https://status.glitch.com/ does not have any metrics on disk performance and reliability. There was recently a huge outage of project disks, and the metrics on the status page did not capture any deterioration of availability, even though most projects were not even able to start.

I’ve written about this /dev/xvdp1 is extremely slow occasionally, but there is no indication that the staff have received this feedback yet.

1 Like