This month we're jamming on #screensavers 🍓

Hey, it’s March - let’s jam on one of our favorite nostalgic and functional forms of art: the screensaver!

Back in the days of CRT and plasma computer monitors, screensavers prevented a left-alone desktop image from literally burning into screens. Although that’s not likely a problem for most of us today, the hypnotic animations of screensavers still inspire us and are an art of their own. This month we’re bringing more of them to life on Glitch!

Head to glitch.com/jams right now to learn more about what jams are and how to submit your projects. Also, see the submissions you all created in prior jams.

We can’t wait to see and share what creative projects you come up with! :tv:

8 Likes

It is a very difficult prompt as I never thought of making a screensaver :rofl:

Here’s a full-screen hydra template in case you need one

and of course, I have a tutorial “book” about Hydra

3 Likes

Questions about Jam rules. Does it have to be a literal screensaver, or can it be a webapp that has a fullscreen option? Also, does it have to be coded during March? I have screen-saver like pages that would be fun to share, but were coded a while ago. Might make a new one too, they’re fun to do.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be a literal screensaver - Glitch is for building and sharing web apps/sites so we’d expect folks to make something like a webapp with a fullscreen option vs. promoting the sharing of, say, .exe files (which I encourage we don’t do). But also it can be anything that the word “screensaver” evokes.

Also, doesn’t need to have been built this month!

3 Likes

My friend’s old $200 android phone had it’s battery indicator burn in to the screen after some time, so burn in does still happen a bit today.

looking forward to tackling this prompt

2 Likes

If it was LED that was image retention which can be fixed but does act like a physical burn!

2 Likes

Thanks for this, but I think the inspiration playlist is private or something and I don’t see it :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Great catch! See if you can view it now? I made it public so hopefully you can!

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you!

1 Like

Made a DVD style bouncing image screensaver
https://fish-bounce-screensaver.glitch.me/

6 Likes

I found nice inspiration here: After Dark Screensavers in CSS

1 Like

Unfortunately, I made a project but recently all my work on it got lost, and rewind showed nothing :frowning: I had to submit a ticket to support

1 Like

Sometimes it doesn’t sparkle when hitting the side, also the image Quilty is bad

Welcome, @INA!

I think the image is like that because it increases in size and they grabbed our logo which is small. I kinda like how pixelated it is but I may be biased bc of my affinity for the pixel arts!

You should try remixing it and adding an image of your own!

1 Like

this one is for you

1 Like

These fish look like they can kick my butt (edited bc one of you flagged me lol, fair i guess), I love them!

1 Like

what even are those fish bro :sob:

jk :‍)

1 Like

I just went to huggingface to generate it :hugs: I’m glad y’all like it!!

1 Like

yeah my one is meant to be lofi and glitchy!