Endless installation followed by every module getting nuked

I’m trying to work with my project over at https://pulseroot.glitch.me.
However, it just started installing endlessly with this in the logs:

node v10.14.1, with pnpm

Installing...

Performing headless installation

Resolving: total 185, reused 182, downloaded 0

Packages: +326

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Resolving: total 326, reused 324, downloaded 0

and so on, so forth. It ends, eventually. But when it does, every module is missing, starting with Express. And after I install every module manually, it gains a problem with loading up bcrypt. I’ve never had this problem until today, any ideas what the issue cold be?

Hey @SmartieYT sorry for the inconvenience!

It looks like your project is running into a 404 trying to install some sub-dependencies (packages that are required by something you’re requiring). I see mention of event-stream being inaccessible in the standard install process - it looks like something is requiring a version of event-stream that’s been removed from npm.

I’ve noticed the problem with event-stream in a project of mine and was unable to figure out what was depending on that. I ended up removing all of my dependencies from package.json (and all of my dev dependencies as well) and then putting them back in and that seemed to resolve the issue. I’d suggest giving that a try.

Good luck and happy Glitching!

Thanks! I figured out the problem - npm-run-all doesn’t seem to work very well with Glitch. Thankfully, I don’t need it, so I safely removed it. Again, thanks for the tip!

Just replying to +1 that this resolved the issue for me as well.

I actually can’t take credit for it; my awesome colleague @angelo was the one who came up with it. But I’m glad it helped!

I found a slightly cleaner fix here that may be a little easier than the package.json solution we were previously suggesting: in your project’s console, run rm shrinkwrap.yaml followed by enable-pnpm and that should update your project to versions of the various packages that don’t expect the removed version of event-stream (3.3.6).

If you’re interested in the context, the backstory on the event-stream story can be read here. That version of the package is (in some cases) being required several layers down the dependency tree.