A talk about the new ping services

As you may have heard, Glitch has blocked all standard pinging services for the time being. This was done for a reason, likely to lower the AWS bill and give the engineers at Glitch time to solve the issues that are happening at Glitch. I fully support Glitch for doing this because they knew how much backlash this would get (one of the most well know Glitch projects, awake.glitch.me, is an autopinger), however, they knew it was the right thing to do and they did it anyway.

However, as Glitch predicted, many of the community members where upset, myself included. Many of us learned to cope with it and gave Glitch a break because Glitch deserves it. Some people did not understand Glitch and created systems to circumvent the new rules from Glitch. Posts like this started to appear all over the forum.
https://support.glitch.com/t/a-solution-for-the-pinging-blockery/26619
https://support.glitch.com/t/allowing-users-to-get-pinged-during-the-block-times/27087

These solutions likely did not work well and if they did work, they were likely to get blocked by Glitch, creating even more of a hassle for the people who are trying to fix Glitch. These services did more harm to Glitch than help them.

I am in not way calling anyone out, I just kindly ask the people who create or take part in these posts to remove them as they are likely making the outage last longer.

Like all of us, I want this downtime to end as soon as possible and we will have to make some sacrifices to achieve that goal.

13 Likes

You have my full support!!

2 Likes

^^ I 2nd that!

Excellent post @RiversideRocks

2 Likes

Exactly. They are making the ping ban longer by trying to get around the ping ban - think about it. That doesn’t make sense! :joy: It’s like when 1 person does something in class and doesn’t own up or stop and then the whole class gets the consequence.

4 Likes

great response @RiversideRocks

1 Like

I beg everyone (wish there was an @everyone tag) not to do this, please, do NOT do this. If you want Glitch to be back as good as new and stable, PLEASE DON’T PING YOUR PROJECTS IN AN AUTOMATIC WAY.

6 Likes

Whoa! Tone down on the caps! Bold/strong text is enough to emphasize your point. Caps just makes it seem like your shouting at us! :joy:

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin: not shouting, trying to empathize my points even more, because people really need to understand. And my friends tell me that I have an excessive usage of typing with my caps on.

3 Likes

please, i beg you all. If glitch is to survive then STOP WITH THE PINGING POSTS. ALL THIS WILL JUST MAKE THE SITUATION WORSE

there, rant over

3 Likes

Don’t shout @random :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::grin:

1 Like

starts whispering…

3 Likes

An update, the person running the ping service closed it and I wanted to thank them for that.

I wanted to make it clear that I never wanted to cause anybody to be hated, I just wanted to do what was best for the community as a whole.

2 Likes

I doesn’t closed the pinging service just discontinued it, i didn’t wanna be more hated then this even more anyway.

1 Like

You really think they’re going to put everything back to normal just because people stop pinging glitch apps? That’s impossible Glitch is so much faster, now we’re at the point of no return…

1 Like

This topic was created 3 days ago when the ping block was temporary, so it was very likely that it would come back quicker if people stopped pinging and getting around the block. Now, this is a permanent ban.

3 Likes