Goodbye private projects

Goodbye glitch guys, I’m gonna be off on repl.it.

1 Like

It’s a setting that the forum admins can change. They can change the time you have to remove the like once you like it the first time.

1 Like

Thats dumb. But makes since.

1 Like

Banning pinging? Sure. Fine. I can live with that. Glitch needs to make money anyways, and pinging should’ve been banned in the first place.

Extremely frequent “Waking Up…” loops and frequent downtime? Annoying, but this is a free service.

Making a critical feature that many users depend on paid? That’s it.

Like someone said earlier, removing features from the free tier will not get potential customers to upgrade, it will only get potential customers to leave. Especially considering that I can get a VPS with more freedom and much better specs for cheaper than Glitch’s Boosted plan, and while Glitch is much easier to use, the high price does not make it worth it. I mean seriously, who thought giving us more RAM than disk space was a good idea?

Goodbye, Glitch. Your community is amazing, your service is declining.

19 Likes

Pretty similar to my reply! :joy:

4 Likes

A little too similar :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Private projects are not payed for. You can’t make it private then public then private again.

1 Like

Also, before getting too mad, I recommend you read this.

2 Likes

This is really bad update. I dont want to make my new projects opensource. I dont want that everyone will see my code. You banned pinging, now private projects :confused:

Please add option to have max. 3 private projects on free account

8 Likes

To be honest,
This update just KILLED 70% glitch user to Quit.

Ban Uptime service ? That’s ok.
Waking the project till it’s up? it’s still ok. But if PRIVATE PROJECT IS PAID, It’s really REACH MY LIMIT. I swear. Unlikely Dcoder, Private project but we should Wake it up manually by go to our project. That’s still OK.

If this one, 2 Restriction JUST DESTROY THE WHOLE USER LIMIT. You should know if DOING a stuff like ‘that’ will DECREASE YOUR CUSTOMER.

2 Likes

I agree, 3 Private Project limit is OK.

2 Likes

The only workaround is to somehow put your code in .env and execute that code if the password is correct (or something like that) I think.

Folks, the heart and soul of Glitch has always been sharing and remixing code. That’s the spirit of the platform, that’s what it exists for. Honestly, it was surprising that private projects were ever on the free tier.

You can’t complain about the offering of a free service. You just can’t, it’s free. You’re not entitled to Glitch.

And I think the users of this forum are not representative of the thousands of Glitch users. While this change might put off a few free users (and a few forum goers) it won’t put off anyone who looks at the service and considers paying for premium. And most of us, rather than being “potential customers”, are not likely to ever upgrade to premium - let’s be honest.

Lastly, some of you seem to imply that this is a greedy scheme by Glitch. I would assure you that while I’m not “on the inside” for this change, entities like Glitch have a runway of cash reserve that is measured in months if not weeks of survival.

I would rather that Glitch made this change and was still here tomorrow, because I like it.

And I like that the core of this product and its community is sharing and remixing open source code to create unique things.

Get on board…!

13 Likes

I really didn’t want to make a reply because many people already did but I wanted to add a few extra things.
The first thing is that people steal code all of the time. Like I’ve seen people take WIP code and publish it as their own, taking all of the credit for themselves. They will usually slap a .tk domain on it to prevent people from finding where it is hosted, but most of the time it’s on repl.it (as well Glitch has no control over repl).
The second thing is well yes I do love open-source, not everything should be open source. For example, wh0 will find vulnerabilities on Glitch and email Glitch support (like the root access issue). Another example is my SearchIt search engine where it searched a all of the site every time a user submitted one. I had it private until I fixed that issue because I didn’t want most/all of my project hours to evorparate in thin air. The third thing is not everyone uses a .env file and they might not know how to and they might not want to, for example, this screenshot of part of a conversation where a user was asking for help on why his bot was not working:

To address part of SteGriff’s reply (not all of it because this is already long enough),

Not everything should be open source because of stuff like WIP projects being stolen and having their tracks covered by hosting it on repl.it and slapping a .tk domain on it and Project or Glitch vulnerabilities. Again, a lot of stuff people make eventually becomes open source but people steal code. It’s a free service, but people have really depended on private projects for a while now.

I personally like to private my code until it’s finished as having WIP code stolen and people taking credit for it is tough. I think Glitch is for sharing/remixing code, but not having others stealing and taking credit for it as many people might not know who made the first copy and to believe who stole who’s code.

6 Likes

How about making a project and git cloning stuff then deleting everything using rm -rf once you are done?

Hi there. I’m back.
I like @aboutdavid’s post. It explains why some need private projects.
I also like @SteGriff’s post. My first post might have seemed like I didn’t like open source. I do! Many components of my project’s wouldn’t be half as good without open source. But some projects just aren’t suitable. Like my Virtual Learning Environment. There’s no need for more than one of my VLE, nor would anyone want to use the code due to my coding style. I’m not the best coder. Lots of projects contain personal info or are made for one particular purpose and won’t be really useful for anything else. People could route around the code and see a vulnerability I haven’t patched. If it was the ideal world, someone would see it and notify me, but right now it would be more likely for someone to exploit it.
I’m also with Ste on the fact that Glitch needs to make money. I get it. I want it to stay. But I’m a student. I wouldn’t be able to pay for it anyway so without giving a discount to students they are making it less likely for me to test the features of the platform and therefore I will be less likely to buy it in the future

6 Likes

As i backread this thread, it’s mostly mixed on this opinion by the Glitch team. I totally understand the reasons why they made Privatization of Projects to the pro tier while removing it from the free tier. I think we have lost the vision of why Glitch is here. Glitch is made to do “remixing” of ideas. Meaning that it supports open source projects. Now that they removed private project. It reinforces that idea of “remixing” and open source.

Now that this decision is enacted. We are left with the ones that go against it. Yes it may sound disappointing for some users who used the platform as a way to serve their projects. But, it also made open implications of exploitation in the system. Thus we already saw this happen, countless of times. From pinging to ip bans.

For the good people who used this and was affected by this change. I share the same sentiment with you. But this change is also inevitable after the things that happened in this platform. I hope that we can get a middle ground on this new policy. But if not, well, i still thank the epic Glitch team for bringing this epic service to the public.

5 Likes

In that case, we should be able to blur out SMALL parts of our code p. Such as names, dob, ips, etc.

2 Likes

I don’t know why no one is complaining about Repl.it having private Repls on the paid tier.

4 Likes

What if you expose a secret in a string and it’s stuck in the rewind. You can’t regen secrets with some services like pastebin. Well, you can’t privitize projects so are you just stuck?

3 Likes