[MEGATHREAD] Project Uptime For Glitch Projects!

It also seems that the project can exceed memory limitations, it is limited to whatever memory is given to the container, which as far as I know is 6 GB of memory.

I’m also going to check if this method that I’ve used is giving me root privileges, I’ll try that a bit later though.

Here is the project btw that shows time since last request:

http://pool-confirmed-blouse.glitch.me/

Just to confirm that this project is actually a static site:

Also, please spam the project, I want to see if I get a 429 (on the way, see img below, I am on 1500~ requests)

I am doing some CPU intensive work atm

Also trying to use more than 512 MB of ram.

Glitch is not picking up on the app’s usage:

UPDATE:

The project still seems to be limited by 4k requests per hour! I’m now stress testing the memory to try and see if it dies when it hit 512 mb, but I doubt it.

Update

The project is now far over 1 GB, and I think I can crash the container. I’m recording my screen, so I can upload the footage if anything happens.

This is bad! ^^^

@glitch_support Please do not ban the project, I mean no harm in what I’m currently doing and I will report everything I discover back to you!

8 Likes

can’t u install nvm…oh I actually knew about this but didn’t think it was that important. well if it does get popular we just block the terminal for static sites. however if you like maintaining static sites via terminal that’s going to be an issue.

Do you also know how to make node apps on static sites that run 24/7?

terminal + pm2 also this might a be problem for u

but it’s under automated use but you’re not using it automated

2 Likes

Actually, it is automated :thinking:

Wait, can you host a static site (using node.js) 24/7 without having a browser open on Glitch? Which is what my current method does.

oh I was thinking of hosting a discord bot in a static site’s container. Anyways theortically it might be possible. either it’s just a temporary issue or i still see the glitch loading screen on some of my static sites

The container is able to peak over the 6 GB container memory limit

But overwrites some of the existing memory or closing other processes to go back down to 5.7 GB

For some reason I think the starting screen is kinda fake… It showed me the starting screen while the project was actually running and already had 35K requests stored in memory.

I have that on video as well.

Anyway, I’m gona figure out a way to stop the project and report these issues to Glitch now.

1 Like

I’m writing an email right now about the vulnerability!

I have now composed an email and will send it to Jenn!

It’s sent, I will update you guys if I receive any responses.

5 Likes

This might be fine, because it’s expected that you have a running project container while you’re editing. It uses up project hours too, as seems to be consistent with the screenshot.

Edit: agreed that the untracked ram usage is bad though. What are you doing to use ram? I’m wondering because you haven’t posted process ram usage.

A static site doesn’t actually consume project hours, the editor does. What was discovered is a vulnerability to make a 24/7 container on static sites that run nodejs, however I won’t get into details before they’re fixed. Anyway, it was alive for more 4 hours, 2 of those hours have been without the editor open.

Yes, I sometimes use Git to push my work to GitHub.

Haha, finally someone read the Terms of Service. :joy:

I was sending around 1k HTTP requests per second with a lot of data to 127.0.0.1:3000.

Hopefully Jenn will check her email inbox today and will forward the vulnerability to the right team! Hope this vulnerability will get fixed ASAP!

2 Likes

Jenn has now forwarded my PDF to the platform engineering team, I’ve asked to stay in the loop and I’ll inform you if I receive any new updates!

Have a wonderful day,
James.

6 Likes

Hi i have suggestion: Project hours should be not used for public projects. On github action minutes are free for public projects
Please add this feature.
Or add Thanks for helping rewards.
For example for every 5 thanks for helping Glitch should add + 500 free project hours :pray:

The Thanks feature has been deprecated. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes