Ping service block: June 13, 7:56 a.m. to present

Though this is a good idea, discord bot’s don’t idle and use too much resources. Every time a message is sent, or an action is sent, Discord sends a request to the server containing information. Based on the way that your Discord API wrapper is set up, it will cache the users & data involved in the request. If glitch had a way of forcing the cache clearing, or limiting the ram, forcing users to use the cache clearer, that would be a more realistic solution. Knowing the Discord API and slightly how glitch works, this wouldn’t be possible, as the bot has to “Log In” to receive requests, and, owning a bot in 5.6k servers (on glitch until about 1k, though I still have other projects here), there would be no reason to have every single server use another bot just to keep it online.

There are many other reasons why this isn’t a realistic solution, based on the Discord API’s current limitations, the way Glitch works, and the way the API wrappers work, though there could be many other solutions.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you.

2 Likes

For those of you wondering why glitch is blocking services.
Glitch is hosted on AWS and AWS is getting DDoS’d.

4 Likes

yep, so basically glitch is getting DDOSed in a way because the core service they run on is being attacked

4 Likes

Should AWS have a better DDoS protection? Interesting still.

3 Likes

Sorry, but that’s exactly what I’m doing with glitch too. Because the glitch editor is a horrible mess, and most of the glitch website tries to be all funky with non-intuitive buttons and icons anyway. I much prefer working and running my stuff locally and then pushing it whenever ready, unless it’s like a quick one-line change. For any actual work, the editor is unusable.

2 Likes

For autopingers I suggest they send head requests to minimize bandwith usage. I believe this can result in a 2x or more bandwith saving but i’m not sure if this will still wake the projects

2 Likes

So there is a solution for you. Only works on firefox.
Download the addon here and just click on the website’s title and click with the right button and should this popup Screenshot_125 so select 1/5 minute(s) to ping your project. And please note that the glitch’s block is temporary. If you want 24/7 just use a laptop with full charged battery in it.

2 Likes

i have big problem with the bot hosting! i got this error Forbidden (403)!! chrome_SMvo2hFxJG|689x37

Profile: https://glitch.com/@milkymusicest

Project: lily-earthy-map

1 Like

Uptimerobot wont work on glitch right now.

1 Like

At the top of this page it literally says Glitch has blocked ping services temporarily.

1 Like

Hey @Fatlessss,

Glitch has temporarily blocked pinging services and as a result of that, projects return a 403 Forbidden error. To know more about this temporary blockage of pinging service, see this blog post by Glitch:

Hey!

I keep getting 403 responses on SOME requests in my projects:

It started yesterday. I tried restarting, tried enable-pnpm. Even tried de-boosting the projects and boosting them again. It doesn’t seem to help.

I believe some of my other projects have the same problem.

https://status.glitch.com/ says everything is ok but it doesn’t seem so @glitch_support

Please don’t tag specific support team members - they all get notified via @glitch_support

3 Likes

Maybe contact support@glitch.com? This seems like a glitch error.

Isn’t it an equivalent of summoning @glitch_support here?

1 Like

Yes, you can either wait for them to respond here or email them at support@glitch.com.

1 Like

Maybe because of this? I don’t know what’s the “ping services” but this is may the reason.

Ping services are mainly monitoring services that are used to keep projects online 24/7 (like UptimeRobot and Awake!). I do not think that is the reason because 503 means “service unavailable” although I expected Glitch projects (and experienced it) to return a 403 Forbidden status.

1 Like